The distinctive roofline of MNP Community & Sport Centre has been an iconic part of Calgary’s skyline since opening in 1983 to host the Western Canada Summer Games. Through continual re-investment, it has evolved and grown into one of the largest and most renowned Fitness & Training facilities of its kind in North America.
- 2022 – Repsol Sport Centre is officially renamed MNP Community & Sport Centre when MNP becomes the naming sponsor.
- 2016 – Naming sponsor Talisman Energy is purchased by international company Repsol. Talisman Centre takes on the name Repsol Sport Centre later that year.
- 2015 – Lindsay Park Sports Society (LPSS) and Talisman Centre unveiled a very special recognition display that acknowledges and honours 21 Olympic and Paralympic Medallists who have trained extensively at MNP Community & Sport Centre and are recognized as Lifetime Members of the Society.
- 2015 – The launch of Talisman Centre’s latest brand extension– 3433 Sport Performance Centre – hit the market. At 3433 feet in elevation, this world class Centre delivers an exclusive formula for performance coaching, endurance and strength training.
- 2015 – Lindsay Park Sports Society (LPSS) and Talisman Centre celebrated the achievement of reaching their fundraising campaign goal of one million dollars for The John Currie Amateur Sport Legacy Fund, thanks to the financial support of its many generous donors.
- 2014 – Talisman Energy (Talisman Centre’s naming sponsor) received the 2014 Business and Sport Excellence Award presented by Sport Calgary.
- 2014 – Talisman Centre announced a furthered investment in high performance sport with key sport initiatives including; strategic alignment with Club Excellence, new performance coach appointments and event bidding.
- 2014 – Talisman Centre releases a mobile APP, the first of its kind for fitness facilities in Canada and provides unprecedented access to valuable information anywhere and at any time on iPhone and Android devices.
- 2013 – After 123 days of flood closure, the Competition Pool re-opens on October 21. The Teach Pool follows by re-opening the following day and finally the Dive Tank and Dive Towers on October 25.
- 2013 – The Dryland areas of the facility re-opens to the public on July 16 after 26 days of full closure.
- 2013 – Talisman Centre is forced to evacuate and close entire facility on June 20 as one of the worst natural disasters in Alberta’s history, the June Flood, hits Calgary.
- 2012 – The new Sport Recognition Wall is unveiled at the North Entrance showcasing two Olympic torches and three digital displays that highlight our facility, The Booster Club and The John Currie Amateur Sport Legacy Fund.
- 2012 – September marks the official launch of The John Currie Amateur Sport Legacy Fund which provides bursaries for amateur athletes with financial needs training in Calgary.
- 2012 – Talisman Centre officially recognized as a National Training Centre for Canada’s Senior Men’s National Water Polo Team.
- 2012 – Talisman Centre hosts the Canadian Age Group Nationals (July 25-30), a long course swim competition that saw more than 1500 athletes, 500 coaches, volunteers and support staff and hundreds of spectators, this long course swim competition was the biggest event Talisman Centre hosted that year and one of the largest in our history.
- 2011 – In September, the Train. Compete. Play. tagline launches along with a brand new website.
- 2011 – After almost one-year under construction, Talisman Centre re-opens its doors to the public and celebrates with an official ribbon cutting ceremony including Mayor Naheed Nenshi.
- 2010 – In March, the tented portion of the facility is closed for the replacement of its iconic roof and many facility upgrades. The $44.5 million project was a joint initiative between The City of Calgary, The Government of Canada and Talisman Energy.
- 2008 – Talisman Centre celebrates its 25th anniversary.
- 2004 – Talisman Centre celebrates the completion of the $24 million expansion. The new Fitness Centre is named, Dr. Neville Lindsay Sport Wellness Centre, to commemorate and honour Calgary’s first doctor and legendary pioneer who owned the land upon which the facility sits. The new Aquatic Centre is named, The Calgary Foundation Aquaplex, to recognize and celebrate the contributions of The Calgary Foundation through a major gift from an anonymous donor.
- 2003 – Talisman Centre receives The Calgary Award for Accessibility.
- 2002 – Lindsay Park Sports Centre is officially renamed Talisman Centre when Talisman Energy becomes the naming sponsor with a contribution of $10 million over 20 years.
- 1989 – The 4,500 square foot weight training area in Lindsay Park Sports Centre opens to the public.
- 1988 – The XV Olympic Winter Games are held in Calgary and Lindsay Park Sports Centre hosts a reception for 3,000 Olympic media including live horses on the track!
- 1987 – Lindsay Park Sports Centre wins a Bronze medal in the IAKS Awards (International Working Group for the Construction of Sport and Leisure facilities) for an exemplary, functionally well-designed sports facility.
- 1983 – Lindsay Park Sports Centre opens in July to host the Western Canada Summer Games. The facility officially opens its doors to the public in September.
Key Facility Investments
MNP Community & Sport Centre proudly re-invests a minimum of $400,000 in capital projects annually. $200K is positioned to support High Performance Sport and infrastructure and $200K is put towards tangible Membership and Program benefits. The following showcases some key Membership and Program projects. However, the list is not nearly exhaustive of the full scope of building modifications, maintenance and operational repairs.
- Gaga Ball Pit
- Inflatable Disney
- Princess Castle
- Inflatable Morphy Super Slide
- Cargo Net Climber
- Total GYM elevate unit
- 5 new Stepmill – Life Fitness PowerMill
- Torque Stealth Air Trainer
- Elliptical – Precor – AMT 885
- Added mirrors and barres in Strength & Balance Studio
- Lifecycle upright bikes and treadmill replacements
- Olympic lifting bumper plates
- Bioelectrical impedance analyzer
- Stepmill replacements
- 3 new Ellipticals
- Swimming back stroke wedges
- High Performance Studio leg curl and lat pull down, plate replacement
- New quick fill water bottle water fountains
- 6 new dive boards
- Trueform Enduro Runner
- Life Fitness Integrity Powermill
- Handcycle replacement
- 3433: element computer and snap trainer, Wahoo Studio, treadmill
HDE Powerrack half rack with storage
- 28 Sit/Stand desks
- 16 branded boxing bags for new martial arts Studio, including program participant’s boxing gloves and pads, MMA flooring and fixtures.
- Fully adaptive/accessible Cybex weight and Sci Fit equipment
- Added a new Powermill stair climber
- Replaced 4 Olympic platforms
- Updated cardio equipment – Rowers, cross trainer, treadmill, Keiser bikes
- New pool vacuum
- New Group Fitness stereo and accessories for GYM 5
- New volleyball standards
- New bike rack
- $30K in functional equipment and new flooring in North Upper training deck
- 10 new rowers and new rowing class included with membership or admission
- New Fitness Centre machines: Plate loaded reverse back extension, Elliptical (2), Upright bike (2), Treadmill (4), Recumbent bike (2), Rowers (2), Cybrex Sparc Trainer (2)
- Snow removal equipment
- Fitness Centre: Recumbent bikes (2), Treadmills (4), Spin bikes (9), Ellipticals (4),
- New bike ranks for North and South entrances
- Power Cycle room upgrades: 55” TV, Heart rate technology, blinds
- $200K in Fitness Equipment replacements
- Group Fitness sound system
- Volleyball sets
- Child Care area renovations
- $250K in Fitness Equipment replacements required due to flood and air circulation related damage
- Tear down Profile Room walls to make way for $160K in cardio equipment, 12 hammer Strength machines, 6 Strength benches, 3 squat racks
- Customer Service required all new hardware/computer equipment due to flood and air circulation related damage
- 8 new stainless steel Dive Board railings
- Concrete & Matting Repair on 5m Dive Tower Platform
- Added non-stick coating to slippery areas on competition pool deck
- Replaced rubber matting in Aquatic High Performance area
- Added 2 Glassless mirrors in Fitness Centre
- Gym Floors were refinished and repainted (1,2,3)
- New TechnoSPIN Studio – Studio Expansion, new tiered flooring, LED coloured lights, sound system, wall to wall screen
- New Facility & Pool signage, rule boards
- Replaced all shower valves in public and executive locker rooms
- Pool and bulkhead maintenance
- In progress of replacing hot water lies throughout the facility
- Renovated Riverview meeting room
- New steam unit generators
- Upgraded pool entry, and deck shower areas with sea blue tiles
- Executive floor tile replacement
- Various duct work, dampers, and studies as per BCA
- Boiler pump repairs, Boiler flue repairs and replacements
- Sport Partner change rooms on pool deck – Covid safety response
- New bubbler on dive tank
- New hygiene dividers for various areas of the facility – Covid safety precaution
- Custodial renovations
- Toilet flush valves
- Fitness Centre wall painting
- Dive Tank: light replacements, DE filter repairs
- New exterior doors
- Chemical dousing pumps
- Inspections of all gas lines
- 6 sink faucet replacements
- Rebuild parking lot shed
- Infrared scan of Riverview room roof
- New automatic door for MS2
- New roof access ladder
- Fire hydrant replace/refurbish
- Site audit – boilers
- Power Cycle revitalization (Nov-Dec)
- High Performance Training upgrade
- Dive Tower Project: 10m platform expansion for twinning Dive Towers, attracting international FINA Dive Competition May 2018 & 2019
- Facility Brand Painting: Walk of Wellness, Track columns, Member Lounge, Upper Fitness, pool deck and lower level staircase to Yoga Studio.
- R.E.P.S Studio: creation of new martial arts studio behind GYM 2
- Digital Display Board: new ViviLed score clock for competition pool event use and display for promotional slides
- Learning Room: new floors, paint, and refurbish chairs
- High Performance Studio: wall extension, paint (more to come in 2019)
- Gyms 1,2,3: sand and recoat
- LED lighting: various activity spaces and offices
- Assorted operational upgrades:
- boiler study
- hot water heat exchangers
- facility tile repairs
- sliding doors upgrades with aircushions
- plumbing and pipe replacements
- new plexi-glass for concourse railings
- sand filters for training pool, hot & cold tubs
- lane rope disc replacements
- improved pool storage areas for public equipment
- chlorine room electrical renovations
- $60K in Sport Camp equipment: bouncy castles, trampolines, tiny tot series floatables, along with Multi-Sport 1 renovations to create Ninja Chamber environment: flooring, storage and obstacle course equipment
- Updated all archway lighting and retrofitted LED lights in upper and lower level activity spaces creating greater energy efficiency, and brightness.
- Resurfaced floors in all 5 gyms
- Exterior fixes to north and south concrete pads
- Company rebrand painting: track rails, pool bleachers, dive tank, facility railing, external railings
- Teach pool re caulk and program chairs
- Hot tub re grout
- Member Lounge to gyms – new glass wall and bench
- Exterior building new stucco and painting
- All new tiles in Training Pool
- 3433 program bike trainers (30), Kayaks & paddles
- Retrofitted LED lights at Customer Service, Hot Tub, Training & Competition pools and meeting rooms creating greater energy efficiency, and brightness.
- New retractable bleachers by dive tank and 4 new dive boards
- Hot Yoga piping, pumps and exchangers
- Medichair lift install in locker rooms
- Mechanical & Electrical upgrades and repairs
- Executive Locker room and washroom repairs
- Personal Training Studio received a facelift: paint, flooring, window tinting and equipment
- Automated sliding doors at north and south entrances – easier accessibility
- Upgraded Family change rooms with new medichair lifts
- Upgraded 3433 Studio flooring
- Competition pool: regrout and caulking
- New UV system for hot tub
- Upgraded Diving Boards
- Installed new Dive Tank shower
- Retrofitted small hot tub and changed to cold tub
Numerous 2013 flood remediation projects
- 70% + new mechanical and electrical equipment required to run facility
- Pool plumbing and pump systems, grating and grouting
- Hot Tub sand filter replacement
- Boiler System retrofits
- AC units
- Parking lot upgrades
- Dive Tank basin paint
- Refinish all 5 gym floors
- New lower level activity spaces: Multi-Sport 1, Multi-Sport 1 and Strength & Balance studio
- Hot Yoga Studio – pipe insulation, heating/cooling mechanics
- 3 additional Wifi access points
- 3 Electrostatic Sprayers – Covid safety response
- New chlorine room alarm system
- Work from home technology, laptop and support – Covid safety response
- Incident/accident tracking software
- Desktop and laptop computer replacements
- Facility management software evaluation, trials
- Financial software
- Security system expansion in progress
- HRIS: new software that provides a centralized repository of employee data
- Wiring upgrade for network by teach pool
- 28 computer replacements
- Outdoor wireless access points
- New 65” smart TV – Learning Room
- 10 additional Member/Guest Wi-Fi access points throughout various areas of our facility, including Fitness Centre and Gyms 1-3.
- Staff computers and safety radio’s
- 5 new wireless access points in Fitness areas
- 3 new Kiosks for wayfinding, promotions, programs and alerts
- 5 new security cameras, and 3 TV monitoring check points
- New LFConnect capabilities with treadmills
- HRIS software implementation – phase 1
- New Customer Database and Financial software installed
- Wireless access points
- Customer touch screen kiosks (3) for South entry, Member Lounge and Fitness Centre: wayfinding, promotions, events, programs
- Security cameras
- Wireless access points
- New phone system
- Surveillance cameras
- Safety radios